Thursday, July 29, 2010

Finally reading my first book!

So I have a few books coming in the mail but none have arrived. So at my 6 week postpartum appointment yesterday I borrowed one from my midwives. I started reading Heart & Hands - A Midwives Guide to Pregnancy & Birth yesterday and I have already read the first 2 chapters! These aren't short chapters mind you!! I guess it is about a 1/4 of the way through! It is fascinating!!! I will say that the thought of doing internal exams will be very awkward at first and truly hope it is with someone very understanding!
I really did think I knew all about my body, pregnancy and child birth and I have read many books on it but there is SO much more!! I just wish I had stared reading these while I was still pregnant.
Hopefully some of my other books will start coming in cause at this rate I will be finished by Sunday.
I can't wait to read more on the history of midwifery. What I have read so far is way more interesting then I thought it would be. I just wish Bonnie were still alive to see what she set in motion. She is the one who had encouraged me to go natural and at home in the first place. You see I was her nanny to her then 2 children who were both born at home. She was like an older sister to me and she was with me through a lot. But she passed away 3 years ago from stage 4 colon cancer. She was still young and has young children. She passed just 2 weeks after I had my first homebirth and when I called to tell her she was already to weak and sick to talk with and I never got to tell her. I still miss her all the time. I hope and pray her daughters grow up to be as strong as she was. She truly was amazing!
Well on that sad note I am going to sign off and go back to reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment